Camp season is upon us! Here are some ways to help your child and their bike get ready.
Bicycle Safety Check
All camper bikes must pass a safety check before the first day of camp. This includes a fit check and a basic mechanical check, done within a month of your camp’s start date. The check can be done at our shop at 1700 NE Alberta St or at your local bike shop. As with any bike shop, please allow time for repairs as needed and expect to pay any and all applicable charges for repairs made by your local bike shop in connection with your Bike Camp Safety Check.
- The child attending bike camp
- Their bike
- The Bicycle Safety Check Form, to be filled out by the mechanic doing the check. The form will be turned into the camp admin on the child’s first day of camp.
Important Note: If a repair is needed for a bike to meet the safety check, please be prepared to pay for all parts and labor costs. The Bicycle Safety Check is only an assessment of the camper’s bike and does not include repair costs.
Scheduling a Bicycle Safety Check at the Cycling Center
We have an online appointment system to schedule bicycle safety checks at our bike shop to reduce wait time. We offer appointments on Tuesday and Saturday. Please allow 20 minutes for each check.
If you cannot make it during regular appointment hours or if all appointment times are booked, you can leave the bike with us to be checked within 3-5 business days.
Camp Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 3:00pm
First day of camp: 8:30 – 9:00am (in the shop)
Rest of the week: 8:45 – 9:00am (in the back parking lot)
Check-out: Daily between 3:00-3:15.
Campers must be signed out by an authorized parent or guardian to leave camp. Parent or guardian must bring photo ID for sign out. A fee of $1 per minute will be charged for children in our care outside of camp hours.
Please note, campers are not allowed to be unsupervised at the Community Cycling Center before 8:45 am or after 3:30 pm.
What to Bring to Camp!
Please have your child bring the following items:
- Properly functioning bike
- Properly fitting helmet
- Required Bicycle Safety Check Form from a certified bike mechanic
- Backpack or bag suitable for everyday riding. Campers are expected to carry everything they need for the day. Backpacks are preferable to shoulder bags, which can affect balance
- Sack lunch, a snack, and water (no lunch necessary for Food Cart camp)
- Comfortable and weather-appropriate attire (no bike-specific clothing is necessary for our camps)
- Closed-toed shoes. No flip-flops or other open-toed sandals
- Please leave electronics and valuables at home
Please double-check the meeting location of your camp by referencing your confirmation email.
- Community Cycling Center Bike Shop at 1700 NE Alberta St
- Sellwood Cycle Repair at 7953 SE 13th Ave
- Please note that Sellwood Cycle Repair is closed on Sunday and Mondays. Shop access will be limited to the restroom on Monday.
- Please do not call Sellwood Cycle Repair with camp related questions, instead please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overnight Bike Storage
Participants’ bikes can be stored in our secure indoor bike storage throughout the week for both sites. Families can also take bikes home if they choose. Please let the camper’s instructor know if this is the case.
If you have any questions about registration or Bike Camp in general, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.