Reports to: Retail Manager
Status: 32-40 hours per week, including weekends
Location: Portland, Oregon
Compensation: $14.50 per hour to start
Benefits: 7k/year Health, Dental & Vision
We love Portland and bikes. So we put our two loves together over 20 years ago, creating a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom, and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit under-served communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds. Our programs and shop services combined help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates and mechanics.
Our goal is to help create a healthy, sustainable Portland for all community members.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
The Retail Specialist is responsible for providing excellent customer service, maintaining a clean, welcoming and well stocked retail environment and developing strong customer relationships. This position will require experience working with point of sale and inventory management systems, experience in a high volume retail environment, the ability to refine and develop workable systems, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed.
- Greet customers and provide welcoming retail environment for people of all backgrounds
- Provide excellent customer service in all aspects of retail sales
- Clean and maintain retail space and stock retail floor on a daily basis
- Work collaboratively with all shop staff to maintain reliable and relevant inventories
- Work with retail management to create displays, signs and labels to showcase products in innovative and efficient ways
- Maintain and improve storage systems and retail environment to increase efficiency, capacity and inventory reliability.
- Participate in team meetings
- As a non-profit we believe that fundraising is everyone’s job. There is an expectation that all employees will support fundraising efforts.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
- Personable, receptive and compassionate approach to customer service
- Prior retail experience
- Ability to maintain composure and a respectful, cooperative attitude through high stress situations
- Attention to detail and a methodical approach to accomplishing tasks
- Capacity to work independently and deliver on objectives
- Experience with POS and general computer systems
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- A strong desire to learn and develop professional skills in the bicycle industry
- A commitment to equity and social justice
DESIRED QUALITIES OR EXPERIENCE
- Proficiency in Spanish strongly desired
- Proficiency in ASL strongly desired
- Prior Bike Shop experience
- Full time, non-exempt employee, 32-40 hours per week, including weekends
- $14.50 per hour to start
- Benefits: Health, dental and vision insurance after 30 days, Paid Time Off, $200 Used Parts Allowance, $90 Labor Benefit, Cost +10% pricing on new parts, flexible scheduling during off-season
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume, cover letter and (3) references to jobs@CommunityCyclingCenter.org with “Retail Specialist” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications is January 31st, 2019.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with diverse abilities, people of color, women, trans and gender non-conforming identified people encouraged to apply.