By Melinda Musser, Communications & Marketing Manager
For those that do not know, the Community Cycling Center actually has two locations – our retail bike shop on Alberta Street, and our programs and administrative office, which is currently located at MLK Boulevard. On the weekend of March 2nd, we are relocating our programs and administrative office to The Trade Bindery building, located at 1805 NE 2nd Avenue between Schuyler and Hancock.
The Trade Bindery, built in the 1930s, has been vacant for several years. We are excited about the opportunities and possibilities that this space will bring to the future of our organization. The building includes some workshop space, which provides opportunities for housing new programs and/or shifting some operations from our Alberta bike shop. We are currently in the development and evaluation stages of an employment pathways program that may fit neatly into the space. Alternatively, we may be able to move some bike production activities to the “Bindery” to free up some valuable retail space in our bike shop.
Our new space is located close to the major bicycle corridor of N. Williams and N. Vancouver Avenues and just down the street from Portland Design Works. The Trade Bindery building is across the street from Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, the third oldest African-American church in Portland and the first African-American Baptist Church in the state of Oregon. Mt. Olivet was organized in 1907.
If you would like to help us move into the new space, we are looking for volunteers. Please contact Randi, our Volunteer & Outreach Manager, at Randi@CommunityCyclingCenter.org by Wednesday, February 27th.