Hub Mechanic Assistant
About the Community Cycling Center
We believe that a bicycle is a tool for empowerment and a vehicle for change. The Community Cycling Center is a 501(c) 3 that broadens access to bicycling and its benefits.
General Position Summary
Help us deliver mechanical support to the residents of New Columbia at the Bicycle Repair Hub! The Hub is an intimate work space where residents of New Columbia can drop in and use community bike stands and tools
We are seeking enthusiastic volunteers with intermediate mechanical skills to provide support at the Hub this Spring and Summer. You will work with staff mechanics and community bike educators to deliver hands-on support to the residents of New Columbia as they work on their own bikes.
- Work with staff mechanics to deliver mechanical support to residents of New Columbia.
- Assist with tool checkout procedures
- Assist with opening and closing procedures at the Bike Hub
- Provide mechanical support during community workshops
Skills and Expectations
- Strong grasp of bike mechanics, maintenance, and repair
- Experience in hands-on learning environments
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds, of all ages
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and nonverbal
Location: North Portland
Length of Commitment: Approximately 3 hrs per shift, plus an initial 1/2 hour training, commitment can be variable
Schedule: The Hub will be operating on Wednesdays and Saturdays in the Spring and Summer of 2013.
“Volunteering with the Hub was rewarding for me because there was immediate gratification in teaching someone, kid or kid-at-heart, about their bikes that they love so much. I always felt like my time and presence as a volunteer at the Hub were valued and useful.” – Melissa, former Mechanic Assistant
Women and people of color encouraged to apply.