Camp season is upon us! Here are some ways to help your child and their bike get ready.
Bicycle Safety Check
All camper bikes must pass a safety check before the first day of camp. This includes a fit check and a basic mechanical check, done within a month of your camp’s start date. The check can be done at our shop at 1700 NE Alberta St or at your local bike shop. As with any bike shop, please allow time for repairs as needed and expect to pay any and all applicable charges for repairs made by your local bike shop in connection with your Bike Camp Safety Check.
- The child attending bike camp
- Their bike
- The Bike Camp Check Form, to be filled out by the mechanic doing the check. The form will be turned into the camp admin on the child’s first day of camp.
Scheduling a Bicycle Safety Check Inspection at the Cycling Center
We have an online appointment system to schedule safety checks at our bike shop to reduce wait time. We offer appointments on Friday, and Saturday. Please allow 20-30 minutes for each check.
If you cannot make it during regular appointment hours or if all appointment times are booked, you can leave the bike with us to be checked within 3-5 business days.
Any late safety checks done after the Saturday prior to the start of your child’s camp will incur a $25 late fee.
Camp Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 3 pm
Check-In: Monday morning early check-in from 8:30 – 9 am and Tuesday – Friday from 8:45 – 9 am
Check-out: Daily between 3:00-3:15. Campers must be signed out by an authorized parent or guardian to leave camp. Parent or guardian must bring photo ID for sign out. A fee of $1 per minute will be charged for children in our care outside of camp hours.
Self check-out is allowed for campers 11 years old or older after guardian approval on the first day of camp.
Please note, campers are not allowed to be unsupervised at the Community Cycling Center before 8:45am or after 3:30pm.
What to Bring to Camp!
Please have your child bring the following items:
- Properly functioning bike
- Properly fitting helmet
- Required Bike Safety Check Form from a certified bike mechanic
- Backpack or bag suitable for everyday riding. Campers are expected to carry everything they need for the day. Backpacks are preferable to shoulder bags, which can affect balance
- Sack lunch, a snack, and water (no lunch necessary for Food Cart camp)
- Comfortable and weather-appropriate attire (no bike-specific clothing is necessary for our camps)
- Closed-toed shoes. No flip-flops or other open-toed sandals
- Please leave electronics and valuables at home
To double-check the meeting location of your camp, kindly reference your confirmation email. Our two locations are the Community Cycling Center Bike Shop (1700 NE Alberta St) and Sellwood Cycle Repair (7953 SE 13th Ave).
Due to the difficulty of filling camp spaces in the narrow time window before camp starts, there are no refunds or transfers within 30 days of the start of camp.
Overnight Bike Storage
Participants’ bikes can be stored in our secure indoor bike storage throughout the week. Families can also take bikes home if they choose but should let their instructor know in the morning so that the bike does not get put away for overnight storage.
If you have any questions about registration or Bike Camp in general, please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the bike shop at our camp phone number at (503) 482-2054.