Reports to: Director of Programs and Enterprise
Status: Full Time, Hourly
Location: Portland, OR
Schedule: Sunday – Thursday
Benefits: Health, dental and vision within 30 days, PTO after 90 days, access to 401k, Used Parts Allowance
We love Portland and bikes. So we put our two loves together over 20 years ago, creating a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit underserved communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds. Combined, our programs and shop services help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates and mechanics.
Our goal is to help create a healthy, sustainable Portland for all community members.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
General Position Summary
The Volunteer and Youth Internship Coordinator is responsible for ensuring a welcoming, fun, and educational environment for our hundreds of volunteers of all ages, and for our youth interns. We believe in giving back to our volunteers and interns, and this happens through learning and skill building. The ideal candidate will be skilled and experienced in recruitment, education, problem solving, managing conflict, and showing appreciation. They will also organize one-time and returning volunteers to support our major events, including the Holiday Bike Drive and Cycle Oregon.
Please note that the percentage indicators below represent an estimate of how much time each week will be spent fulfilling these functions. In terms of importance, all areas are valued equally.
Volunteer Recruitment and Support 50%
Lead the active recruitment and stewardship of volunteers to help us deliver our mission
- Coordinate weekly volunteer drop-in nights from 7-9 PM on Tuesdays
- Lead monthly volunteer orientations (also Tuesday evenings)
- Attend the weekly guest mechanic volunteer shifts on approximately a once-per-month-each basis, to see them in action, appreciate the volunteers, and support the production coordinators (mechanics) who lead them: Wheels Wednesdays 1-5 PM, Third-Hand Thursdays 1-5 PM, and Salvage Sundays 2-5PM
- Work with volunteers and production coordinators to advance volunteers from Tuesdays to other guest mechanic roles, as their skills allow
- Attend the program and shop meetings approximately once per month each to understand volunteer needs of the organization
- Write monthly volunteer newsletter and maintain ongoing contact with volunteers and ensure that they are actively involved and well-supported
- Organize volunteer recruitment and support for special events, including the Holiday Bike Drive, Cycle Oregon, Worst Day of the Year Ride, and off-site bike collections, in collaboration with the Events Coordinator
- Organize an annual volunteer appreciation celebration
Youth Training and Internships 40%
- Support and grow our nascent paid youth internship and apprentice program, and support our STEM Education Bike Mechanics program in alternative and Title I high schools
- Meet weekly with 3-6 youth interns working with our shop and programs
- Develop and deliver trainings for intern supervisors in partnership with the Education Coordinator
- Develop and deliver trainings for interns in partnership with the Education Coordinator
- Design and refine learning objectives for interns and track interns progress, learning, and goals monthly
- Supervise or coordinate supervision of interns engaged in shop and program operations
- Integrate youth interns into weekly guest mechanic opportunities
- Assist the Education Coordinator in recruiting young people to participate in our Internship program
- Assist the Education Coordinator with coordinating and executing the STEM Education Bike Mechanics program in high schools
- Act as liaison between youth and SummerWorks/ WEXY program staff
Other Responsibilities 10%
- Cross-train to support camps and/or bike shop during high seasons
- Attend and support other organizational programs and events in order to gain a deeper understanding of the organization’s work and build support networks with colleagues
- Support development (fundraising) activities
Qualifications & Characteristics
- At least two years of experience in volunteer management
- Experience working with marginalized high school-aged youth
- Passion for diversity and commitment to inclusion, including but not limited to issues of culture, race, homelessness, sexual orientation, gender, spirituality, and language
- Warm, welcoming, engaging demeanor and fondness for a wide range of people
- Excellent communication skills and a professional work ethic
- Dedication to Community Cycling Center’s mission
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Experience working with youth facing economic oppression
- Experience working with youth of color
- Experience working with youth with a variety of immigration statuses
- Spanish language skills
- Experience with bicycle mechanics
- Education in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email with “Volunteer/Intern Coordinator” as the subject line to Jobs@CommunityCyclingCenter.org. No phone calls, please.
This announcement was originally posted on February 28rd, 2018.
The application deadline for this position is 5:00 pm on March 21st, 2018.