Reports to: General Manager
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Portland, OR
Compensation: $32,640-$35,700 annually to start
Schedule: 5-day week; work days may vary
Benefits: Health, dental and vision within 30 days, PTO after 90 days, access to 401k, Used Parts Allowance
We love Portland and bikes. So we put our two loves together over 20 years ago, creating a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
In addition to delivering dynamic programs that benefit underserved communities, we operate a full-service bike shop in NE Portland that is staffed by highly experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds. Combined, our programs and shop services help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates and mechanics.
Our goal is to help create a healthy, sustainable Portland for all community members.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
General Position Summary
The Retail Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and supporting the inventory and retail operations of the Community Cycling Center bike shop. With the support of the shop Leadership Team, the Retail Manager will lead shop staff in the delivery of excellent customer service and work with the Communication and Marketing Manager to guide and implement marketing in the shop. This position will require a team-focused approach, the capacity to anticipate demands, and the ability to provide coaching and feedback to ensure staff is supported in the delivery of objectives. Experience in a high-volume retail environment, attention to detail, and the ability to innovate and develop systems will be expected of this position.
Please note that the percentage indicators below represent an estimate of how much time each week will be spent fulfilling these functions. In terms of importance, all areas are valued equally.
Management of Staff and Shop Operation (30%)
- Supervise, and provide training to staff working in your department
- Collaborate with shop Leadership Team to hire, train, and evaluate staff based on the quality and effectiveness of their work
- Work with shop Leadership Team to develop and ensure adherence to policies and procedures governing shop practices
Retail Management (60%)
- Lead by example by delivering excellent customer service while working on the sales floor (16-24 hr/wk)
- Work with the Inventory Coordinators to maintain appropriate inventory levels of new and used products; anticipate demand to stay ahead of the retail market
- Analyze sales trends to determine adequate stocking levels and product selection
- Maintain and develop the shop floor and storefront to ensure a welcoming shopping environment
- Represent our community and outreach programs on the shop floor through the use of displays and other written materials
- Develop annual sales for the bike shop that provide the greatest benefit for Cycling Center customers and organizational objectives
- Partner with Marketing Manager to develop and utilize creative promotions and discounts to maximize revenue potential
- Work with the Development Department to maximize the fundraising potential of the shop
Strategic Planning and Process Evaluation (10%)
- Develop and improve systems for efficient and high-quality output
- Partner with shop Leadership Team to manage production schedules and develop annual department budgets
- Analyze and respond to trends to ensure that budgetary and programmatic goals are met
Qualifications & Characteristics
- Managerial experience, including supervising, training and supporting staff
- Experience in merchandising and a passion for welcoming retail environments
- Proficiency in Spanish and English
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously
- Ability to meet project deadlines and account for detailed objectives
- Effective written communication skills
- Familiarity with spreadsheet and point of sale software
- Success in creating inclusive work environments where people from diverse backgrounds feel safe and welcome
- Minimum of 2 years of bike shop management experience
- Fluency in spreadsheet software and comfort navigating inventory management systems
- Fluency in American Sign Language
- Basic knowledge of Adobe and InDesign software
- 3-5 years experience working as a bicycle mechanic
How to Apply
Send your resume, cover letter, and (3) references to Jobs@CommunityCyclingCenter.org. No phone calls, please.